Friday, January 21, 2011

The New World

The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of past centuries.- Descartes


                   I received the book that I ordered last week to study in preparation for my interview. I know some of the U.S. History and government lessons because I was able to learn them while working as a teacher. I would say 80% of it on 100 questions for my interview that I already know. But I want to have a book that will guide me, that's why I bought one. I feel guilty that I know many things (no, not many)but a lot of things than my own country's history. Well, I wasn't really interested in history when I was in high school until just now. I will probably review Philippine history when I get my dual citizenship.

                 Now, some of you know the US History and Government (So, you may skip this blog if you already know :). But I tell you this, I used to hate history. But now I absolutely love it. I am now learning about history through reading and watching history videos. I was inspired to learn and read more. This blog was created for me and others who are studying the US History in preparation for their Citizenship Test and Interview. I also like to document the history lessons that I learned and will learn in the future through blogging.


              The word history comes from the Greek word historía which means "to learn or know by inquiry."


 Now, let's learn U.S. History!!!!

Discovering a New World. In, September 1492, Christopher Columbus set sail from Spain for the Indies (Asia) To get to Asia they had to travel east over land. Columbus thought that sailing across the Atlantic Ocean would take less time. On, October 12, 1492, They reached an island, and Columbus thought he had landed in the Indies (Asia), so he called the native people living here Indians. But they had actually landed in America. And they called it “the New World”.




Christopher Columbus landed in North America
 on October 12, 1492. Americas celebrate
that day with a holiday called Columbus Day.


The English Colonies

                      A group of people called the Pilgrims sailed to America in 1620. They came to America because they were not free to practice their religion in England.



                        The Pilgrims began to live and worship as they wished in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

Watch this!

                      The Pilgrims invited Native Americans to a thanksgiving feast in 1621. Americans remember that first thanksgiving with the holiday Thanksgiving in November.


                           That's all for today. More US History lessons to come! Let's study together....


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment