Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Guide To Naturalization: Gathering the Requirements

                    I woke up this morning feeling I have a job to do. I was tired. It's all about the coffee that I drank last night. Well, duh?! What was I thinking? That's why we need to drink coffee in the morning. And I also heard “Cheetoh” the hamster on its wheel making that noise again. I know hamsters are nocturnal, I should buy him a “Silent Spinner”. Or probably he can sleep with my dogs in the garage and that should teach him to hush! HAHA.

                   Ok, now let's get to business. Before checking for the US Citizenship/Naturalization requirements, let's talk about the importance of it.

                 U.S. citizenship provides many rights, including the right to vote, but also involves many responsibilities. A person who wants to naturalize must first be a permanent resident. By becoming a U.S. citizen, you gain many rights that permanent residents or others do not have. To be eligible for naturalization, you must first meet certain requirements set by U.S. law.

                  Like me, I have been here for more than 3 years and I have a 10 year greencard. So, I am all set to go. Now, if you want to do it later, that is also fine. Hubby wants me to do it now, to be able for me to vote and while we have all the opportunities to do it.
Here are the requirements to apply for naturalization:
You must:
  • Be age 18 or older;
  • Be a permanent resident for a certain amount of time (usually 5 years but 3 years for fiancee and spouse visa);
  • Be a person of good moral character;
  • Have a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government;
  • Have a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States; and
  • Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.


Steps for Naturalization Application
    1. To apply for naturalization, file a Form N-400, Application for 
           Naturalization (click the highlighted form to fill it out and if you have questions post a note/email me)
    2. Use a personal check or money order for both the application and
        biometrics fee of $680. Make sure the check or money order is made out
        to:
           U.S. Department of Homeland Security
    3. A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card.
    4.Two identical color photographs, with your name and A number written in pencil on the back of each photo.
On the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following items:
  • Spouse's Birth certificate,
  • photocopy of the inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport,
  • Your current marriage certificate,
  • Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse-divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s),
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years.

                 All of my naturalization requirements are ready except for the photographs and the money order of $680 (biometrics fee included). Just keep everything organize, make copies and put all the important documents back in your filing cabinet. You also need to make a copy of each document you will send, just in case.





 I said keep it organized, like this :)
 
                 








Note: This guide provides basic information to help you with your application process. I am not a lawyer, a professional immigration officer or a person from USCIS. Please go to USCIS website to get all the details you need, but I am also willing to help for any questions you have. You may also try Visa Journey.com.

Please follow me for the next steps of this process. I will keep you updated!


Read, learn and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment